Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Today with warmer temperatures farm life has taken a backseat to the latest decision dilemma. Yesterday the result for a radon test that was done at our office building came in and they were extremely high. The readings were equivalent to those from in a coal mine, which means that the health risk for working there are very high. I've been wrestling with the decision of whether to retire now or continue working for several months now and every time I think I've figured it out something happens that really makes me question my decision. But this recent finding has me very concerned, not just for myself, but for everyone who is and has worked in that building. If I were in charge no one would be in that building until a second reading was taken and if the readings were confirmed no one would be there until abatement had been finished and the building was back to an acceptable level. I will be talking with my bosses about my concerns and I plan to spend as little time in the building as possible. Those who know me well know that I certainly don't do this job for the money, I could make more almost anywhere else and I have zero benefits through my job, so if I were to get sick from this toxic environment that I've worked in the past five years, theres nothing about my job that would prove helpful. So if you're reading this you're probably saying that this seems like an easy decision, just quit, why risk further exposure. Well, it's the whole reason I applied for the job, the only reason I continue to do the job; I feel like I'm doing something good, something worthwhile, something that might make a difference in a child's life. If I come to the decision to leave this job I will definitely miss watching  the learning and growing process. So what too do? I kind of feel like Hamlet, I ask to be or not to be, that is the question, whether tis nobler
to stay and suffer the ill effects now or later or cut the risks.
I think of it like this.I like to swim in the ocean when I'm there. I swim happily without hesitation  not knowing whether there ad sharks or jellyfish nearby, but if I see or know that sharks, jellyfish or dangerous conditions exist I don't go swimming. So while I didn't know the  conditions of the building I went there without regard to whether there was an added risk, but now that I know there is an added risk it is going to be difficult to make myself stay in the building for very long at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment