Ahh, the glorious adventures of farm life. One more night of below freezing temperatures, one more night in the barn for the ancient horse. Cisco (the horse) seems to have had a tussle with one of the goats and took a horn to the side of the face, which is now a small abscess. He hasn't put up too much of a fuss when I've flushed it with peroxide and antibiotics. He was feeling pretty good this morning, as he actually wanted to trot to the field from the barn this morning. So we both got our exercise in. :) Although I'm not a fan of the cold I do treasure getting to spend a little extra time and attention on my ancient horse. Cisco was a rescue, with lots of scars, from previous beatings, and when we first brought him home everything spooked him. He was somewhere in his twenties and was 'FREE" with the Arabian we purchased as my son's thirteenth birthday present, that was ten years ago. With time and gentle care and a lot of love, he learned to trust me. Although, he calls the shots, meaning if he doesn't want to be caught you can forget it. Ten years ago I did ride him, just around the farm. We had a wonderful time walking around the farm together, until Aaron would race by on Radar (the Arabian) Yelling for Cisco to keep up. Cisco would then respond by speeding up to try to keep up with his field buddy, progressing into this bone jarring run, due to the amount of arthritis in hips. But he was determined to keep up, at least till I forced him back down to a walk. We were both happy to just walk. Now, when I get time, between goats, cows, and chickens, I bring him treats and brush him, and occasionally he lets me give him a hug. He's like a grumpy old man denying that he enjoys the attention, but I know he does.
No comments:
Post a Comment