Friday, February 3, 2017
weather
it's true! Farmers talk about the weather a lot! Probably because the weather plays such a big role in farming, and there's no controlling it and we still aren't that great at predicting it. January here in southern middle Tennessee has been strange. One day it's seventy degrees and the next it's thirty. Just like humans animals don't do well with the constant change of seasons on a daily basis, so we have hoof issues from the rain, and snotty noses from the up and down of the thermometer. Some of the goats have started to shed their winter fuzz, just in time for the next wet cold spell. Spring plants have started pushing their way up and I have even spotted some blooming buttercups already. I've double checked the calendar, and it says February 3rd. This warm wet winter will lead to a very bug laden spring and summer, so I've started upping the worming and fly prevention already. Maybe I can put a small dent in the coming tide of insects. Right now it's cold and windy, but two days ago it was near 70, today I'm waiting for the afternoon high so I can go fill water tanks and trying to convince myself I don't need to make a chocolate peanut butter cake. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment